Pookie Background

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What does a STEM classroom look like?

As I complete my budget request for the 2012 - 2013 school year, I am thinking...

What does a STEM classroom look like?  What does it have in it?

We all know what we would find if we walked into a literacy room.  Comfortable places to read, visual reading cues for students and an overflowing library.  You would see literacy journals and notebooks as well as examples of paired books.  There would also be obvious evidence of guided reading and possibly Cafe.

In a math classroom (which I use to have) you would see my colorful bins of math manipulatives, a library with math fiction and non-fiction books, and calculators.  I had containers of general school supplies as well.  Reference charts and helpful information filled my walls.

But STEM?

What should that look like?

Well, starting with the units I currently plan on teaching (more to come) - money management, Rubik's cube, renewable energy (wind), green building, and restaurant design and management - I should have the supplies for those units.  So, I have my K'NEX kits organized in Ziploc bags stored in their plastic bins, general classroom supplies for building projects tucked neatly away in drawers, and my Rubik's cubes in colorful bins.  But what is next?  In order for an inquiry approach to learning work, I need my classroom to promote open-ended exploration.  Enter... THE STEM LIBRARY!  Scholastic and Delta Education (Green Collars and Mechanical Engineering) offer some great STEM library starter kits.  Continuing down this road, I decided an additional K'NEX kit may be the way to go.  The Discover Controls K'NEX Education kit offers students the opportunity to play around with computer programming - something I am very familiar with!  But will this be too much in the way of K'NEX?  I do not want a K'NEX curriculum.  So off to Amazon (my favorite place to shop and search for goodies)!  I found a number of Solar Energy, Renewable Energy, Force and Motion, etc. kits for sale, but are they meant for repeated use in the classroom?  Will they survive the kids and me?  Most of what I teach is computer based, so in addition to wanting a few laptops I am at a loss of what else would create a true STEM environment...unless that is what I am already doing?

Please post comments, suggestions, and links to resources that you have found helpful when teaching STEM (or any of the four subjects individually.) 

3 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog about STEM Labs, and have enjoyed it. I recently was moved to our EIP/STEM lab and am at a total loss as to which direction to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D. Johns! I am glad you have enjoyed my blog. Is there anything specific you have in mind for your STEM lab?

      There are TONS of resources online that I use and have posted about. In addition, I have a board on Pinterest with additional ideas I have yet to explore (http://www.pinterest.com/stacieshaner/). Last, but not least, I believe I have two of my educational unit plans posted in Teachers Pay Teachers (for free of course) that you could check out.

      My philosophy when it comes to STEM education is to keep it as open-ended and student driven as possible. Give the students as much "power" as possible over their education. Provide maker spaces (post to come in the future) and other open ended labs that give the students choice. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can help you with! Good Luck!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete