Pookie Background

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Donors Choose: Providing Students with Real-World Experiences in STEM!

It's about time I post a new project to Donors Choose.  I have settled into my new position and identified a few needs in terms of supplies and materials for my classroom.  Donors Choose is a fantastic website that I have blogged about before.  Teachers can create an account and then create a project asking donors to support their classroom.  This year I have decided to compile a list of STEM books to enhance my instruction, a few teacher resources for labs and activities that provide real-world experiences, and some lab materials that include solar panels.  My kids are absolutely ecstatic for this project since they picked most of the materials themselves.  Please take the time to look over my project and consider donating just a few dollars.  Until April 24th, donors can enter the code INSPIRE and Donors Choose will DOUBLE your donation.  Thanks for all you do!

2 comments:

  1. I was excited to find your blog. I am teaching 5th grade (this is the first year for 5th) in our school's STEM magnet. I just started a blog called teachingstems.blogspot.com if you want to check us out. You mentioned in an earlier post about the science books you ordered. Care to share your list? I'm working on compiling some titles too, but having a hard time with elementary type texts. Keep posting, I'll keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! I am looking forward to following your blog! The book sets I ordered are...

      1.) "Inventing The..." Series (8 books) by Lisa Mullins
      2.)"What a Great Idea: Inventions that Changed the World" by Stephen Tomecek
      3.) Engineering In Action Series (4 books) by Crabtree Publishing
      4.) The Environmental Issues Collection(5 books) from Rourke Classroom
      5.) The Science & Technology Collection (6 books) from Rourke Classroom

      I am ordering a few additional sets of books and have requested them on my DonorsChoose page. Make sure you look at my supply list to see the other STEM related book sets that would work in my classroom. All of these books would be more than appropriate for your 5th graders.

      Thanks for commenting and hopefully this information is helpful. Good luck!

      Delete